Last updated 26 May 2021
Are you an author or publisher who is ready to get your titles into AUDIOBOOKS?
The fantastic info found in this list of links will better prepare you for the task, especially if you plan to use Audible’s Audiobook Creation Exchange (ACX.com) for the production process.
The resources listed below were found on a variety of sites and are organized by topic.
Thinking About Audiobooks
Karen Commins’s Setting Sail Into Audiobooks video
In this 41-minute video, I:
- explore the audiobook landscape (beginning at 2:43)
- explain reasons every author should produce audiobooks of their books (beginning at 7:23)
- demonstrate Amazon Whispersync capability between an audiobook and Kindle ebook (beginning at 10:19)
- offer specific tips about ways to write with audio in mind (beginning at 12:09)
- advise the viewer about the audiobook production process and gives concrete information about using ACX.com to create an audiobook, including payment for production costs and distribution options (beginning at 22:04)
- John Marshall Media produces audiobooks for all the major publishers.
- Note the timestamps in the Youtube description to jump to specific points about the video, most of which relate to the categories below.
Writing With Audiobooks in Mind (Hint: You’ll Become a Better Writer!)
Audiobook 101 for Authors VA Festival for the Book 2021
Audiobook Rights and Production Overview
Advice, Articles, and Tutorials to Help You Get Started With ACX
How to Make an Audio Book Using ACX (Step-by-Step) best tutorial I’ve found — with screenshots
Payment Options and Narrators’ Views About Royalty Share Projects
Negotiate Your Perfect Deal with Royalty Share Plus (be sure to read all of the comments and go through the links in the ACX help system as they provide more explanation)
How to Pay for Audiobook Production
- Don’t be in a hurry to do your whole series at one time. Save the royalties from the first book to pay the costs of the 2nd one.
- Use the creative exercise described in this article to uncover other sources of funds.
- The chart below summarizes funding options for audiobooks created on ACX.
Auditioning and Choosing Your Narrator
Karen Commins’s 2-part series in InD’tale Magazine:
The Finished Audiobook
Other Sites to Assist Indie Authors
AudiobookRevolution.com — Casting, production via ACX, narration, audiobook directing
AuthorDirectAudio.com — Narration coaching, audiobook directing
TheAudioFlow.com — Casting, production, promotion