Are you an author or publisher who is ready to get your titles into AUDIOBOOKS?
The fantastic info found in this list of links will better prepare you for the task, especially if you plan to use Audible’s Audiobook Creation Exchange (ACX.com) for the production process.
If you feel overwhelmed about audiobook production, you may want to cut to the chase and hire an experienced narrator and producer.
The resources listed below were found on a variety of sites and are organized by topic.
Thinking About Audiobooks
Karen Commins’s Setting Sail Into Audiobooks video
In this 41-minute video, I:
- explore the audiobook landscape (beginning at 2:43)
- explain reasons every author should produce audiobooks of their books (beginning at 7:23)
- demonstrate Amazon Whispersync capability between an audiobook and Kindle ebook (beginning at 10:19)
- offer specific tips about ways to write with audio in mind (beginning at 12:09)
- advise the viewer about the audiobook production process and gives concrete information about using ACX.com to create an audiobook, including payment for production costs and distribution options (beginning at 22:04)
Hearing Voices: Why Audiobooks Are Suddenly Chic: RWA 2014 Handout/Resources
Writing With Audiobooks in Mind (Hint: You’ll Become a Better Writer!)
The 6 People You Have to Be When Line Editing Your Novel
Advice, Articles, and Tutorials to Help You Get Started With ACX
How to Make an Audio Book Using ACX (Step-by-Step) best tutorial I’ve found — with screenshots
Auditioning and Choosing Your Narrator
Karen Commins’s 2-part series in InD’tale Magazine:
Payment Options and Narrators’ Views About Royalty Share Projects
How to Pay for Audiobook Production
- Don’t be in a hurry to do your whole series at one time. Save the royalties from the first book to pay the costs of the 2nd one.
- Use the creative exercise described in this article to uncover other sources of funds.
- The chart below summarizes funding options for audiobooks created on ACX. Other companies do not offer royalty share option.
The Finished Audiobook
Other Sites to Assist Indie Authors
AudiobookRevolution.com — Casting, production via ACX, narration, audiobook directing
AuthorDirectAudio.com — Narration coaching, audiobook directing
TheAudioFlow.com — Casting, production, promotion
Last updated 21 January 2019